Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Recap of PETA's VP at UCSC!

The following is a post written by SLVARC co-founder Jasmin Valdez, who attended a recent debate at UC Santa Cruz: "Is eating meat ethical?" with Bruce Friedrich, VP of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

Once I heard the vice-president of PETA was coming to town to speak about the ethics of eating meat, I jumped on the opportunity to hear a celebrity in the animal rights world speak and share his beliefs. Lucky me, I got my dad to go with me (gnarly carnivore) hoping he would actually listen and learn a thing or two. To my surprise he did! I thought the location of the debate (UCSC) was an ideal spot to host this event because I knew a lot of open-minded college students would attend and hopefully share their thoughts about vegetarianism with their friends. You know, basically spread the word. I was happy to see the room was full of a diverse crowd of people of all ages. Bruce Friedrich spoke against the UCSC Ethics Bowl Team. He really showed them what they weren’t prepared for. I'm not dissing them- they were good speakers and all, but basically Bruce is the pro. I learned that not only is consuming meat bad for animals and the environment (may I mention that it is the number 1 cause of global warming!) but also causes poverty. The grains and crops that are grown in other countries for people are given to cows and other animals, who are all slaughtered in the end. Therefore, this unfortunately causes starvation. If you would like to hear the debate for yourself, see the video below!

No comments:

Post a Comment